Bioethics Discussion Blog: What is Death? (5): Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep

REMINDER: I AM POSTING A NEW TOPIC ABOUT ONCE A WEEK OR PERHAPS TWICE A WEEK. HOWEVER, IF YOU DON'T FIND A NEW TOPIC POSTED, THERE ARE AS OF MARCH 2013 OVER 900 TOPIC THREADS TO WHICH YOU CAN READ AND WRITE COMMENTS. I WILL BE AWARE OF EACH COMMENTARY AND MAY COME BACK WITH A REPLY.

TO FIND A TOPIC OF INTEREST TO YOU ON THIS BLOG, SIMPLY TYPE IN THE NAME OR WORDS RELATED TO THE TOPIC IN THE FIELD IN THE LEFT HAND SIDE AT TOP OF THE PAGE AND THEN CLICK ON “SEARCH BLOG”. WITH WELL OVER 900 TOPICS, MOST ABOUT GENERAL OR SPECIFIC ETHICAL ISSUES BUT NOT NECESSARILY RELATED TO ANY SPECIFIC DATE OR EVENT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND WHAT YOU WANT. IF YOU DON’T PLEASE WRITE TO ME ON THE FEEDBACK THREAD OR BY E-MAIL DoktorMo@aol.com

IMPORTANT REQUEST TO ALL WHO COMMENT ON THIS BLOG: ALL COMMENTERS WHO WISH TO SIGN ON AS ANONYMOUS NEVERTHELESS PLEASE SIGN OFF AT THE END OF YOUR COMMENTS WITH A CONSISTENT PSEUDONYM NAME OR SOME INITIALS TO HELP MAINTAIN CONTINUITY AND NOT REQUIRE RESPONDERS TO LOOK UP THE DATE AND TIME OF THE POSTING TO DEFINE WHICH ANONYMOUS SAID WHAT. Thanks. ..Maurice

FEEDBACK,FEEDBACK,FEEDBACK! WRITE YOUR FEEDBACK ABOUT THIS BLOG, WHAT IS GOOD, POOR AND CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT TO THIS FEEDBACK THREAD

Sunday, March 13, 2005

What is Death? (5): Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep

I found this poem, "Do not stand at my grave and weep" by Mary Elizabeth Frye and the history of how it happened to be written at the Businessballs.com website. This poem, too, tells us again, like the poem by Walt Whitman in my first posting, that death may not be the end of some sort of existence. I think because it has been difficult to ascribe a finality of life to death, this may contribute to the difficulty in defining death itself. In fact, physicians know about families who have taken their dead family members home from the hospital to maintain some sort of continued “support”. ..Maurice.


Do not stand at my grave and weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.


7 Comments:

At Friday, June 24, 2005 12:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this poem it was read at my best friends funeral (JACOBE ORTA) GOD REST HIS SOUL

 
At Thursday, October 19, 2006 6:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this poem and had heard about it before viewing your site. i love this site because it gives you all the right information about this truley touching poem. thank you for putting up this amazing site!!!

 
At Monday, November 13, 2006 8:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your article. I think it clears up a lot of misconceptions and misattributations whereby many have "claimed" to be the authors of this piece all over the internet. In particular one Melinda Sue Pacho who seems to get credited far more than the orignal author Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Frye. It's sometimes given the title "I Did Not Die" and others take the credit for this poem because it was never copyrighted. (It would've been wonderful if The American Humane Society owned the copyright to this wonderful and much recited piece.) But "Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep" is by Mary Elizabeth Frye, a Baltimore housewife born Mary Elizabeth Clark in Dayton, Ohio Nov 13, 1905 - Died Sept 15, 2004.) and was written circa 1932-1933.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1344731,00.html http://www.businessballs.com/donotstandatmygraveandweep.htm

Cheers and Best Regards,

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ steve steinbach

ssteinbach@hotmail.com

 
At Friday, April 20, 2007 2:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was the most favourite poem on one of numerous sympathy cards we received after our young son died in his sleep at 27 years of age. Not being religious, I do, however, believe in the spirituality captured in those words. Another beautiful poem this one brings to mind is "In Flanders Field", by John McRae.

 
At Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly Ryan broadcast her program, Poetic Journey, on the CBC radio program 'Ideas'. This program can be heard at 9:00 any weekday evening in Canada and on many American Public Broadcasting stations.
The poem when I read it at my stepfather's funeral, touched many with its somewhat natural view of death.

 
At Saturday, July 14, 2007 6:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find this discussion very interesting, mainly because the poem being discussed was written by Emily Dickinson, 1830-1886, a famous American poet. You can find a brief biography of her here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/cheryb/women/Emily-Dickinson-bio.html
and her poem, which is referred to as "Do Not Stand By My Grave and Weep"
can be read here:

http://www.muchloved.com/app/content/resources/funeral_poems.htm

as well as in many published volumes of her poetry and anthologies of famous American poetry.

How sad to see other people trying to claim responsibility for a lovely piece of work done by a famous American poet. If you're uncertain, you can go to any library and look at a book of Emily Dickison's poetry for proof that she was the author.

 
At Saturday, July 14, 2007 8:50:00 AM, Blogger Maurice Bernstein, M.D. said...

Anonymous from today July 14 2007: I see you are concerned that Emily Dickenson was not given credit for the poem you believe she wrote. However your links do not support your concerns, in fact, the link to muchloved.com's "Funeral Poems and Readings" actually attributes "Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep" to "Mary Frye (1932)". I also can't find that poem at http://www.bartleby.com/113/index1.html which contains all of Dickenson's poems. I haven't yet gone to a library. ..Maurice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home