Bioethics Discussion Blog: “Do we run because we are scared or are we scared because we run?"

REMINDER: I AM POSTING A NEW TOPIC ABOUT ONCE A WEEK OR PERHAPS TWICE A WEEK. HOWEVER, IF YOU DON'T FIND A NEW TOPIC POSTED, THERE ARE AS OF MARCH 2013 OVER 900 TOPIC THREADS TO WHICH YOU CAN READ AND WRITE COMMENTS. I WILL BE AWARE OF EACH COMMENTARY AND MAY COME BACK WITH A REPLY.

TO FIND A TOPIC OF INTEREST TO YOU ON THIS BLOG, SIMPLY TYPE IN THE NAME OR WORDS RELATED TO THE TOPIC IN THE FIELD IN THE LEFT HAND SIDE AT TOP OF THE PAGE AND THEN CLICK ON “SEARCH BLOG”. WITH WELL OVER 900 TOPICS, MOST ABOUT GENERAL OR SPECIFIC ETHICAL ISSUES BUT NOT NECESSARILY RELATED TO ANY SPECIFIC DATE OR EVENT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND WHAT YOU WANT. IF YOU DON’T PLEASE WRITE TO ME ON THE FEEDBACK THREAD OR BY E-MAIL DoktorMo@aol.com

IMPORTANT REQUEST TO ALL WHO COMMENT ON THIS BLOG: ALL COMMENTERS WHO WISH TO SIGN ON AS ANONYMOUS NEVERTHELESS PLEASE SIGN OFF AT THE END OF YOUR COMMENTS WITH A CONSISTENT PSEUDONYM NAME OR SOME INITIALS TO HELP MAINTAIN CONTINUITY AND NOT REQUIRE RESPONDERS TO LOOK UP THE DATE AND TIME OF THE POSTING TO DEFINE WHICH ANONYMOUS SAID WHAT. Thanks. ..Maurice

FEEDBACK,FEEDBACK,FEEDBACK! WRITE YOUR FEEDBACK ABOUT THIS BLOG, WHAT IS GOOD, POOR AND CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT TO THIS FEEDBACK THREAD

Saturday, February 02, 2008

“Do we run because we are scared or are we scared because we run?"

“Do we run because we are scared or are we scared because we run?"

Do we have moral beliefs because of the behavior we see around us or is the behavior around us the result of the moral beliefs?

I am morally against abortion because I see people killing unborn babies.
I would have an abortion because I believe in the freedom of women to make that decision.

To understand why people think and why people do the way they do, what is the answer to my question: “Do we have moral beliefs because of the behavior we see around us or is the behavior around us is the result of the moral beliefs?” ..Maurice.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, February 03, 2008 9:04:00 AM, Blogger Ethan said...

This is a great questions and a good one for healthcare workers. I'm a nurse at a busy ED in Denver and I ask myself this type of question often. I think that both aspects of it can apply. I myself am in recovery from alcoholism and attend AA meetings regularly. For me today, my moral beliefs I choose to have and I'd like to believe that my actions in this world stem from these beliefs. I don't always do well with this, but I guess progress not perfection is what rings true. I tend to have more of a dilemma answering the first part of the question. I believe that some people's morals might be governed by the behavior of others in the world they live in, however, because for many of us we learn morals as we grow up, I don't think that it is as simple as just altering our beliefs to fit any situation.

 
At Sunday, February 03, 2008 9:30:00 AM, Blogger Maurice Bernstein, M.D. said...

Ethan, then do you think that an individual's morals are set by what is experienced as the individual is growing up and then with that "education" the individual's behavior will be driven in a certain way--and which may then affect and direct the moral view of others? So..morality vs behavior cannot be simply explained in one direction or another? ..Maurice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home