Bioethics Discussion Blog: MORTGAGE CRISIS AND DISEASE: STICKING TO BAD HABITS

REMINDER: I AM POSTING A NEW TOPIC ABOUT ONCE A WEEK OR PERHAPS TWICE A WEEK. HOWEVER, IF YOU DON'T FIND A NEW TOPIC POSTED, THERE ARE AS OF MARCH 2013 OVER 900 TOPIC THREADS TO WHICH YOU CAN READ AND WRITE COMMENTS. I WILL BE AWARE OF EACH COMMENTARY AND MAY COME BACK WITH A REPLY.

TO FIND A TOPIC OF INTEREST TO YOU ON THIS BLOG, SIMPLY TYPE IN THE NAME OR WORDS RELATED TO THE TOPIC IN THE FIELD IN THE LEFT HAND SIDE AT TOP OF THE PAGE AND THEN CLICK ON “SEARCH BLOG”. WITH WELL OVER 900 TOPICS, MOST ABOUT GENERAL OR SPECIFIC ETHICAL ISSUES BUT NOT NECESSARILY RELATED TO ANY SPECIFIC DATE OR EVENT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND WHAT YOU WANT. IF YOU DON’T PLEASE WRITE TO ME ON THE FEEDBACK THREAD OR BY E-MAIL DoktorMo@aol.com

IMPORTANT REQUEST TO ALL WHO COMMENT ON THIS BLOG: ALL COMMENTERS WHO WISH TO SIGN ON AS ANONYMOUS NEVERTHELESS PLEASE SIGN OFF AT THE END OF YOUR COMMENTS WITH A CONSISTENT PSEUDONYM NAME OR SOME INITIALS TO HELP MAINTAIN CONTINUITY AND NOT REQUIRE RESPONDERS TO LOOK UP THE DATE AND TIME OF THE POSTING TO DEFINE WHICH ANONYMOUS SAID WHAT. Thanks. ..Maurice

FEEDBACK,FEEDBACK,FEEDBACK! WRITE YOUR FEEDBACK ABOUT THIS BLOG, WHAT IS GOOD, POOR AND CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT TO THIS FEEDBACK THREAD

Saturday, June 28, 2008

MORTGAGE CRISIS AND DISEASE: STICKING TO BAD HABITS



The current mortgage crisis may be a reflection of human nature, sticking to bad habits. In the same sense, resolution or improvement of chronic medical conditions such as obesity, emphysema, alcoholism, drug addiction may likewise be affected by sticking to bad habits. Why do people stick to bad habits despite knowing they are potentially harmful? According to a study by Dr. Cindy Jardine, University of Alberta and reported in various sources including indiablitz.com, it may be that the public is undereducated in the details of why the habits are harmful and those professionals who want to break the bad habits of others need to look into the underlying social aspects leading to and continuing the habit. Failure to educate, failure to try to change the underlying psycho-social basis for the habit and what I find as the unethical promotion of bad habits will only make the consequences inevitable and likely untreatable. ..Maurice.

Graphic: Photograph taken by me June 2008 of lamp post sign.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting ideas on the continuation of bad habits...in the back of my head all I could remember were those innumerable occasions when my mother would say something like, "Well, you should know better, you're the one who wanted to be a doctor...", usually in regards to things like dietary indiscretions or lack of exercise. Education is no guarantee of anything...since much of the time that pesky human quality called free will gets in the way! Of course, after maturing I realized that there were many good reasons to change, but old habits do, in fact, die rather hard. I think it was only a close call last year that gave me that push I needed...

As for the credit thing that your photo refers to, in that case I fortunately never developed the bad habits of overspending and/or not paying on time...so I will probably avoid that sort of disaster. I guess the point is it's all in what you know. Learned habits aren't easy to break, whether good or bad.

 
At Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:00:00 AM, Blogger Maurice Bernstein, M.D. said...

I received by e-mail today the following forwarded story which I think is particularly pertinent to the context of this thread. Don't you? ..Maurice.

Subject: Will I Live To Be 100?


Sometimes you just have to ask yourself 'Will I live to
be 100?'

I recently chose a new primary care physician. After two visits and exhaustive lab tests, he said I was doing 'fairlywell' for my age.


A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't
resist asking him, 'Do you think I'll live to be 100?'

He asked, 'Do you smoke
tobacco or drink alcoholic beverages?' 'No,' I replied. 'I don't do drugs,
either.'

Then he asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?'
I said, 'No, my other doctor said that all red meat
is unhealthy!'


'Do you spend a lot of time in the
sun, like playing golf, boating,
fishing or relaxing on the beach?' 'No, I.don't,' I said.


He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lot of
sex?' 'No,' I said. 'I don't do any of those things.'


Then he looked at me and asked, 'Then why do you
give a shit?'

 
At Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:23:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Oh my lord, that is hilarious! : D

What good is it to live to 100 if you have no passions in life?

Actually, my initial comment was tht I think denial is a big factor in bad medical habits - we KNOW it's bad, but the effects only REALLY happen to the OTHER guy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home