FAQ of Medical Ethics: Answers by AMA
Here are Frequently Asked Question in medical ethics as answered by The American Medical Association. The Answers to each question is available at this link. ..Maurice.
Questions regarding complaints
* Q: How do I file a complaint against a physician?
* Q: What if my complaint is not against a physician, but rather a hospital, health-plan, or non-physician health professional?
* Q: What can the AMA do about a physician I believe is behaving unethically or unprofessionally?
* Q: How can I find out if a physician has had complaints against him/her in the past?
* Q: What is the AMA’s Policy or position on a given subject?
The Code of Medical Ethics
* Q: What is the Code of Medical Ethics?
* Q: How can I order a copy of the Code of Medical Ethics?
* Q: Who does the Code of Medical Ethics apply to?
* Q: What is the difference between the Principles of Medical Ethics, the Fundamental Elements of the Patient-Physician Relationship, Opinions, and Report?
* Q: What obligations does a physician have under the Hippocratic Oath?
Questions regarding the AMA’s educational initiative on gifts to physicians from industry
* Q: Where can I learn more about this initiative?
Finding a physician
* Q: How can I find a good physician?
Getting medical advice
* Q: How can I find out if my physician is giving me the appropriate medical care or treatment? Can you give me a second opinion?
Returning phone calls
* Q: I have repeatedly left messages for my physician, but he/she does not return my phone calls. Is this unethical?
Medical records questions
* Q: My physician has refused to provide me with a copy of my medical records, or is stating that I will be charged for a copy of my medical records, is this ethical? What if I haven’t paid my bill?
* Q: For physicians who are retiring, leaving a practice, or deceased, what are the responsibilities in transferring medical records and notifying patients?
* Q: How long must physicians keep medical records?
* Q: Can my physician refuse to see me because of an unpaid bill?
* Q: What can I do about a physician who is charging too much?
* Q: What can I do about a health plan that refuses to pay my physician?
Starting and ending the patient-physician relationship
* Q: My physician has said that I will need to find a new doctor, is that ethical?
* Q: Is it ethical for a physician I have never seen before to refuse to see me?
* Q: My physician has moved, and I cannot find him/her. Can you help?
Declaration of professional responsibility
* Q: What is the Declaration of Professional Responsibility?
The Ethical Force Program
* Q: What is the Ethical Force (E-Force) Program?
* Q: What help can you provide for students or others doing research about ethical topics?