Bioethics Discussion Blog: FAQ of Medical Ethics: Answers by AMA

REMINDER: I AM POSTING A NEW TOPIC ABOUT ONCE A WEEK OR PERHAPS TWICE A WEEK. HOWEVER, IF YOU DON'T FIND A NEW TOPIC POSTED, THERE ARE AS OF MARCH 2013 OVER 900 TOPIC THREADS TO WHICH YOU CAN READ AND WRITE COMMENTS. I WILL BE AWARE OF EACH COMMENTARY AND MAY COME BACK WITH A REPLY.

TO FIND A TOPIC OF INTEREST TO YOU ON THIS BLOG, SIMPLY TYPE IN THE NAME OR WORDS RELATED TO THE TOPIC IN THE FIELD IN THE LEFT HAND SIDE AT TOP OF THE PAGE AND THEN CLICK ON “SEARCH BLOG”. WITH WELL OVER 900 TOPICS, MOST ABOUT GENERAL OR SPECIFIC ETHICAL ISSUES BUT NOT NECESSARILY RELATED TO ANY SPECIFIC DATE OR EVENT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND WHAT YOU WANT. IF YOU DON’T PLEASE WRITE TO ME ON THE FEEDBACK THREAD OR BY E-MAIL DoktorMo@aol.com

IMPORTANT REQUEST TO ALL WHO COMMENT ON THIS BLOG: ALL COMMENTERS WHO WISH TO SIGN ON AS ANONYMOUS NEVERTHELESS PLEASE SIGN OFF AT THE END OF YOUR COMMENTS WITH A CONSISTENT PSEUDONYM NAME OR SOME INITIALS TO HELP MAINTAIN CONTINUITY AND NOT REQUIRE RESPONDERS TO LOOK UP THE DATE AND TIME OF THE POSTING TO DEFINE WHICH ANONYMOUS SAID WHAT. Thanks. ..Maurice

FEEDBACK,FEEDBACK,FEEDBACK! WRITE YOUR FEEDBACK ABOUT THIS BLOG, WHAT IS GOOD, POOR AND CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT TO THIS FEEDBACK THREAD

Friday, August 08, 2008

FAQ of Medical Ethics: Answers by AMA

Here are Frequently Asked Question in medical ethics as answered by The American Medical Association. The Answers to each question is available at this link. ..Maurice.

Questions regarding complaints

* Q: How do I file a complaint against a physician?
* Q: What if my complaint is not against a physician, but rather a hospital, health-plan, or non-physician health professional?
* Q: What can the AMA do about a physician I believe is behaving unethically or unprofessionally?
* Q: How can I find out if a physician has had complaints against him/her in the past?

AMA policy

* Q: What is the AMA’s Policy or position on a given subject?


The Code of Medical Ethics

* Q: What is the Code of Medical Ethics?
* Q: How can I order a copy of the Code of Medical Ethics?
* Q: Who does the Code of Medical Ethics apply to?
* Q: What is the difference between the Principles of Medical Ethics, the Fundamental Elements of the Patient-Physician Relationship, Opinions, and Report?

Hippocratic Oath

* Q: What obligations does a physician have under the Hippocratic Oath?

Questions regarding the AMA’s educational initiative on gifts to physicians from industry

* Q: Where can I learn more about this initiative?

Finding a physician

* Q: How can I find a good physician?

Getting medical advice

* Q: How can I find out if my physician is giving me the appropriate medical care or treatment? Can you give me a second opinion?

Returning phone calls

* Q: I have repeatedly left messages for my physician, but he/she does not return my phone calls. Is this unethical?

Medical records questions

* Q: My physician has refused to provide me with a copy of my medical records, or is stating that I will be charged for a copy of my medical records, is this ethical? What if I haven’t paid my bill?
* Q: For physicians who are retiring, leaving a practice, or deceased, what are the responsibilities in transferring medical records and notifying patients?
* Q: How long must physicians keep medical records?

Billing questions

* Q: Can my physician refuse to see me because of an unpaid bill?
* Q: What can I do about a physician who is charging too much?
* Q: What can I do about a health plan that refuses to pay my physician?

Starting and ending the patient-physician relationship

* Q: My physician has said that I will need to find a new doctor, is that ethical?
* Q: Is it ethical for a physician I have never seen before to refuse to see me?
* Q: My physician has moved, and I cannot find him/her. Can you help?

Declaration of professional responsibility

* Q: What is the Declaration of Professional Responsibility?

The Ethical Force Program

* Q: What is the Ethical Force (E-Force) Program?

Research tips

* Q: What help can you provide for students or others doing research about ethical topics?

3 Comments:

At Saturday, August 09, 2008 11:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Berstein this is kind of you to list this information. It is a start for people as most do not know how and where to voice complaints or receive this information. That said, speaking from experience, filing a complaint did not result in any satisfaction. It was a complete run around. A basic waste of time. It is pretty much the "fox watching the hen house" and when put to a test of a complaint-- all parties "deny" and "lie" to protect themselves. It becomes a "he said" "she said" situation. And, guess who loses?

We had a physician refuse to use the telephone stating that he could not "treat" over the phone. He did not want to do any business over the phone (even something minor and simple such as lab results and options) but insisted you come in for an office visit. In our minds it was only a way to bill. We chose to go elsewhere.

Personally speaking, with the lack of consumer information about how to complain is the reason there are not more complaints.

So much of what is listed on that link really turns into such much that is VAGUE. The rhetoric sounds good but put to task reaps nothing.

 
At Saturday, August 09, 2008 12:31:00 PM, Blogger Maurice Bernstein, M.D. said...

My view is that all the questions noted and "answered" by the American Medical Association are practical questions that many patients have as a concern. In this comment I put answered in quotes because AMA did not provide a final answer but only basic statements and information about resources which may be helpful for the reader to obtain their own final answer and solution to their question. Yes, it will take work,time and perseverance on the part of the reader but as I have written on other threads, those who are unhappy or concerned about a particular behavior of a healthcare provider (either physician, nurse, medical institution or HMO), should make their concerns known to those providers and, if then the concern is not considered or resolved, then notify their regulatory agencies.

I agree that some might find the answers provided by the link to be vague in terms of that final needed answer, but realistically it is the patient who must do the leg work on their problem. ..Maurice.

 
At Sunday, August 10, 2008 1:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We totally concur with your comments. It is up to the consumer to make their dissatisfaction known. Even if nothing of retribute is achieved at least "they" have heard from the party. Personally, we feel people in general do not take the time, effort or diligence to "speak up." They merely chock it up to experience and move on. The result of that technique is that nothing ever changes! But that is the way of the world. Few people persist with what they feel it "right."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home