Bioethics Discussion Blog: Maurice Bernstein, M.D.: Bioethics on Google Knol

REMINDER: I AM POSTING A NEW TOPIC ABOUT ONCE A WEEK OR PERHAPS TWICE A WEEK. HOWEVER, IF YOU DON'T FIND A NEW TOPIC POSTED, THERE ARE AS OF MARCH 2013 OVER 900 TOPIC THREADS TO WHICH YOU CAN READ AND WRITE COMMENTS. I WILL BE AWARE OF EACH COMMENTARY AND MAY COME BACK WITH A REPLY.

TO FIND A TOPIC OF INTEREST TO YOU ON THIS BLOG, SIMPLY TYPE IN THE NAME OR WORDS RELATED TO THE TOPIC IN THE FIELD IN THE LEFT HAND SIDE AT TOP OF THE PAGE AND THEN CLICK ON “SEARCH BLOG”. WITH WELL OVER 900 TOPICS, MOST ABOUT GENERAL OR SPECIFIC ETHICAL ISSUES BUT NOT NECESSARILY RELATED TO ANY SPECIFIC DATE OR EVENT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND WHAT YOU WANT. IF YOU DON’T PLEASE WRITE TO ME ON THE FEEDBACK THREAD OR BY E-MAIL DoktorMo@aol.com

IMPORTANT REQUEST TO ALL WHO COMMENT ON THIS BLOG: ALL COMMENTERS WHO WISH TO SIGN ON AS ANONYMOUS NEVERTHELESS PLEASE SIGN OFF AT THE END OF YOUR COMMENTS WITH A CONSISTENT PSEUDONYM NAME OR SOME INITIALS TO HELP MAINTAIN CONTINUITY AND NOT REQUIRE RESPONDERS TO LOOK UP THE DATE AND TIME OF THE POSTING TO DEFINE WHICH ANONYMOUS SAID WHAT. Thanks. ..Maurice

FEEDBACK,FEEDBACK,FEEDBACK! WRITE YOUR FEEDBACK ABOUT THIS BLOG, WHAT IS GOOD, POOR AND CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT TO THIS FEEDBACK THREAD

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Maurice Bernstein, M.D.: Bioethics on Google Knol

Yesterday, I began the first of a series of Knols on Google Knol titled "My Bioethical Opinion is...". My intent is to have readers there ask me bioethical questions (ethics dealing with medicine and medical practice) and, if I feel I have the capacity to do so, will try to answer the questions with a Knol for each question. (There will be a Comment section for each Knol so that the readers can respond to my answer and I can respond to their response.)

The format is entirely different than this bioethics discussion blog. Here I pose an issue to my visitors and await an expression of their views. I rarely express here my own views since I don't want to bias the visitors responses. On Knol, it is just the opposite: the readers will be asking me questions for me to answer.

I know many of the visitors to this blog have ethical issue questions which I have as yet not thought of or created a thread. This will be the chance to ask. I may migrate some of the questions back to this blog as new threads here. I hope some of my visitors here will meet me on Google Knol. Thanks for your attention. ..Maurice.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:17:00 AM, Blogger Maurice Bernstein, M.D. said...

The first question is up and so is my answer.
The question:

I recently took my fifteen year into the BMV/DMV to get her permit. As I stood at the counter with her, they asked her if she wanted to be an organ donor. I spoke up and said no. I will express my reasons why later. Then a month later when she went back in to get her actual license, I was not at the counter with her and they asked her again, without my input, and she said yes. So now she is an organ donor against my wishes and she is a minor. Why is the BMV allowed to do this to minors? I bet there are some surprised parents who have lost their teenagers in car crashes, when the organ donor companies show up at the hospital. I have heard that sometimes, they are so pushy that it puts a burden on families at a very hard time. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

For the answer go to http://knol.google.com/k/maurice-bernstein-md/my-opinion-is2-dmv-designating-a-minor/2tllk8bpqaqi6/5# ..Maurice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home